Entering the Garden, The Greenhouse Tier
The gardens were first established in this location in 1874 by Walter Langdon. He had the brick walls, buildings and pergola built to provide structure to the garden and create a space separate from the rest of the estate. All of these features still exist, having been restored by the National Park Service in 1984. Vanderbilt replaced Langdon's original greenhouses with new ones after the purchase of the estate in 1895. Those fell into ruin after Vanderbilt's death and were finally removed by the NPS in the 1970's. Today, the grassy areas of the upper levels of the garden show the foundations of those greenhouses.
Walter Langdon's Garden slideshow