The Rose Garden
The legendary rose. No other flower fascinates both gardeners and non-gardeners like the rose. Frederick Vanderbilt was particularly fond of them. So, from 1910 through 1913, he consulted with Thomas Meehan and Sons to design additional tiers for the garden, which would be devoted to roses. Robert Cridland, who was associated with Meehan and Sons at the time, was the primary designer paying particular attention to the layout of color throughout. And so, the Rose Garden was created. It is located to the east of the Perennial garden, on two tiers going down a sloping hill towards the Crum Elbow Creek. The center piece of the Rose Garden is a large fountain backed by a loggia designed to look like an Italian villa. Mrs. Vanderbilt would often host teas for visitors in this loggia, as well as ice cream parties for the children of the estate staff.
The Rose Garden featured a variety of roses including, of course, tea roses. However, climbing and bush roses were also extensively used. Some photographs of the era also showed the use of annuals such as Canna from time to time.
Depending on the weather during the spring, the peek blooming season for the roses is normally mid-June through mid-July. However, the roses normally bloom off and on throughout the summer. Over 2000 rose bushes are normally on display in the garden.